Originally posted November 15th, 2015.
Now I don’t know how the E.S.B. style of beer became beer of rugby players, it just always has been, other than water of course. E.S.B. stands for Extra Special Bitter, and they are essentially more aggressive and more balanced bitters, both in alcohol and in hop character, but nothing overpowering. This is more common in England where I believe the style originated. There are some versions of E.S.B. here in the United States. Deep River Brewing Co. The Ruck E.S.B., 6.5% ABV is one example. Deep River Brewing Co in Clayton N.C. sells The Ruck and uses the sales from it to help the Local Clayton Rugby team The Bootleggers. The Ruck pours a nice litter copper color with a two finger light beige head that leaves behind minimal lacing. The aroma is faintly malty with a slight breaded note. The taste is smooth with a malty breaded flavor with the lights yet faintest sweet note that comes in a goes out in the blink of an eye. The Ruck is quite drinkable and smooth. The mouthfeel is light to medium with a nice smooth malt bread finish. But the after taste isn’t there, but what is there is a nice flat hop note with a very faint crisp malt note. Overall this beer is a B. I think there are better E.S.B.’s out there but this isn’t a bad one. Yes you should try Deep River Brewing Co. The Ruck E.S.B.! Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Here are this week’s news and happenings in the Charlot, North Carolina area!
- Wednesday, March 13th. Blankets and Brews. Sycamore Brewing. 6:30 pm- 9:30 pm. Tickets at arworkshop.com. Let’s get cozy at one of our favorite local spots! Enjoy craft brews while crafting up your very own Chunky Knit Blanket at Sycamore Brewery.
- Wednesday, March 13th. 1775 Pale Ale. NoDa Brewing Company. 4 pm-9 pm. This week’s brew has been made in collaboration with Charlotte Independence, for its second annual return. This Pale Ale is coming in at 5.5% ABV, filled with El Dorado and Simcoe hops, giving you a piney and citrusy taste. A great sipper for the Spring weather! Not to mention, just in time for Charlotte Independence’s first home game of the season on Friday, March 15th!
- Thursday, March 14th. Pink Robots Release: Raspberry & Blackberry Kettle Sour. Birdsong Brewing Co. 3 pm-11 pm. Coming back by VERY popular demand, we have a release date for Pink Robots Blackberry/Raspberry Kettle Sour! Hope you can join us for the release on Thursday, March 14th, 2019!
Brewed with raspberry and blackberry, our kettle-soured ale is bright, tangy and deliciously fruity. Upfront berry aromatics and a lingering tartness come together for an easy-drinking experience. It won’t take long to see why it’s a fan and staff favorite. Even Yoshimi would agree—Pink Robots can’t be beaten!
We will be releasing this beer on draft & in CANS at 3pm! Cheers!
- Thursday, March 14th. Irish Coffee (Beer) Celebration. Carolina Beer Temple Charlotte. 12 pm-11:30 pm. Free tickets at eventbrite.com. The only right way to get ready for St. Paddy’s Day is with Irish Coffee. No, not that one, with the whiskey. The other one! We mean coffee beers from across the Carolinas! So come on out and try local favorites like Wooden Robot’s Good Morning Vietnam or special treats like Blue Blaze Brewing’s Bantu Gluten-Free Coffee Brown. What better way to feel Irish for a day, and get ready for the biggest day in beer?
TAP LIST IN PROGRESS:
-Amor Artis Sospeso Coffee Blonde
-Blue Blaze Bantu Gluten-Free Coffee Brown
-Catawba Evening Joe Coffee Blonde
-Wooden Robot Beast Foot Espresso Stout
- Friday, March 15th. Triple C Chocolate Covered Pretzel Flight Night. Flying Saucer Charlotte. 6 pm-2 am. Serving variations of Triple C Chocolate Covered Stouts including
Paired with Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
- Friday, March 15th Pilot Brewing & Cabot Cheese Paring Fundraiser. Pilot Brewing. 5 pm-9 pm. Beer and cheese are a match made in gastronomic heaven.
Join us for a beer and cheese pairing with Cabot, a co-operative of farm families, benefitting the Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love, our March Charity of the Month. Come on out to learn more about their amazing organization and get to meet some of their Great Danes!
We will be hosting a Raffle benefiting Ruff Love. Raffle Prizes include Beer Gift Baskets from Cabot Cheese and Pilot Brewing swag and beer. There are a number of ways to earn raffle tickets!
1. Order an item from the food truck!
2. Purchase them! 2 for $5 or 5 for $10
3. Donate an item from Ruff Love’s Wish List:
4. Participate in the Cheese Tasting for $10
* All proceeds from ticket sales are donated to Ruff Love
Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love is Pilot Brewing’s Charity of the Month for March. All month long, $1 of every Crowler to-go beer sale will be donated to the non-profit.
Bad Mother Smokers food truck will also be on-site slinging their delicious BBQ from 5PM – close.
About Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love –
Great Dane Friends of Ruff Love was born in 2009 to meet a major need in the world of rescue: the emphasis of quality of rescues instead of just quantity. We believe that our handling of each case should be top quality, even at the expense of time or money, so that in the long run we are able to make a larger dent in the number of dogs we successfully save. This translates into happier dogs and adopters. We have rescued over 720 dogs! We are an extension of Ruff Love Rescue, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in Thomasville, NC.
- Saturday, March 16th. Beer Release *Fashionably Late* Hazy IPA. The Unknown Brewing Company. 12 pm-3 pm. Come Join us this Saturday at noon as we release Fashionably late. this Hazy IPA was brewed with tons of citrus hops and a has a smooth creamy mouthfeel. only 25 cases made (No Distro). Yes, its a long time coming for us to join the haze craze but we’ve never been good about paying attention to current trends. If you’re going to live without boundaries, Might as well be Fashionably Late!
- Saturday & Sunday, March 16th-17th. St. Patrick’s Day in LoSo 2019. The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery. 11 am-11 pm. Charlotte’s most diverse selection of locally produced beverages is the destination for a good time on St. Paddy… Lower Southend & OMB are ready for green attire, festive music and lots of delicious food and drink on March 16th & 17th!
If you’d like to join a LoSo Bar Crawl on Saturday, visit CrossFit Mecklenburg’s Facebook page. OMB is a stop on the crawl and will be celebrating the holiday all weekend long! We especially invite y’all to join us on Sunday for a laid-back St. Pat’s after your Saturday shenanigans.
At OMB, relax under the trees in our Biergarten with our spring seasonal: Früh Bock. Früh Bock captures the promise of warmer days ahead, combining a slight malty sweetness with a refreshing touch of citrus aroma from its noble Bavarian hops. Your year-round favorites will also be on tap including Copper Altbier, Captain Jack Pilsner, Hornet’s Nest Hefeweizen & Fat Boy Baltic Porter. Don’t forget – our 1 Liter steins will be available!
Festive food specials:
(6oz Angus Beef & Brisket Patty, All-Natural Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese, Many Islands Dressing, Irish Mustard, Pretzel Bun), Choice of Side Item
-Our Bangers & Mash-
Sliced Bratwursts, Colcannon – (Mashed Potatoes, Cabbage, Onion, Bacon), Charred Brussel Sprouts, OMB Copper Gravy
We’ll also have live music on Saturday & Sunday.
This is a free event. Under 21 are welcome at OMB. Pets are welcome outside in our Biergarten.
- Sunday, March 17th. Black & Blue X Hangover Party. Wooden Robot Brewery. 10:30 am-9 pm. This Sunday, March 17th, celebrate your Annual Brawley’s Beverage Black & Blue Hangover and St. Paddy’s Day at the Bot. In honor of the 10th year of the festival, we will be pouring local #NCbeer from our friends at Fonta Flora Brewery High Branch Brewing Co. Eurisko Beer Company & Zillicoah Beer Company as well as some of our specialty beers from the cellar. Official beer line-up will be announced soon, stay tuned!
Twisted Eats by Kre8 will have an exclusive Hangover Brunch menu all day long!
Treat your 10th Annual Black & Blue Hangover with respect and come have a drink with us!
*All are welcome; not exclusive to festival-goers
Tuesday, March 19th. NoDable Release: Danksta IPA. NoDa Brewing Company. 4 pm-9 pm. Each month, we release several brand new brews as part of our “NoDable” Series on Fridays. This week’s brew is our Danksta IPA sitting at 4.9% ABV. This Danky IPA is brewed with Ariana hops and dry hopped with Ariana and Citra hop oil, providing us with the perfect combination of citrusy and fruity flavors.
I went out to Pop The Top Craft Beer Shop for a few beers and brought back New Sarum Salisbury Brewing Co. Princess Peach Hazy IPA, 7.0% ABV & 20 IBU (International Bittering Unit)from Salisbury, North Carolina which is brewed with Blood Peaches and Lactose into what is called a Milkshake IPA. Princess Peach pours a hazy medium yellow color with a two finger white head with a sweet aroma of vanilla fruit, peaches, a nice bubble gum acidic notes hitting your nose with a vanilla bubble gum flavor upfront then slightly hoppy in the middle with a fruit peach acidic flavor come on the back as the hoppy flavor slowly grows, and finishes with a little hoppy fruity sweetness. Aftertaste is sweet and peachy with a light acidic note and faint bubble gum with a medium mouthfeel. Sarum Salisbury Brewing Co. Princess Peach Hazy IPA really surprised me with its uniquely delicious flavor, which none were out of place. Sarum Salisbury Brewing Co. Princess Peach Hazy IPA is well deserving of an A+. A really well brewed be with awesome milkshake fruitiness that is very tasty. I highly recommend trying this beer. I will come right back to this again! Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
This may seem like a Beer & Chips Pairing similar to the last one I posted, but this is LateJuly Organic Jalapeño Lime Tortilla Chips & Founders Brewing All Day IPA, 4.7% ABV. LateJuly Organic Jalapeño Lime Tortilla Chips are much like a cool ranch Dorito but with more of a slight green hue to them with a little sprinkling of spices and smell spicy with hints of lime zested on them. These tortilla chips have a mild spicy note to them up front with a nice light lemon flavor following it. Founders Brewing All Day IPA does wash way a bit of the Jalapeño spice but then in the middle of mouth the spice mixes with the hoppy flavor making a slightly more than mild spicy note that really fills your mouth then slowly fades as you sip on ALL Day IPA. This beer adds another level of spice to the Jalapeño and helping bring out the lime flavor and makes for a good pairing which receives a B. The Jalapeño flavor is mild as is the Lime flavor, but they aren’t. That holds it slightly lower but the beer adds to these LateJuly Organic Jalapeño Lime Tortilla Chips which helps bring out the intended flavors. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
New Belgium Dayblazer Easygoing Ale, 4.8% purchased at my local Harris Teeter grocery is a session ale, that pours a golden yellow color with one finger white head and gives your nose clean, crisp sudsy aromas with some grain notes as well, with a taste that is somewhat similar to the aroma with crisp sweet clean flavors with a very faint hoppy note on the back of the mouth with a refreshing quality and a crisp somewhat sweet finish with a nice clean grains aftertaste with a light mouthfeel. This is just an average tasting beer that you probably will not remember but is good, give New Belgium Dayblazer Easygoing Ale a C+. There is nothing offensive about this beer nor is there anything really worthwhile here. It is a much better version of a BMC (Budweiser, Miller, Coors) offering. I recommend New Belgium Dayblazer Easygoing Ale, go try it, it goes down very easy! Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Picked up Wicked Weed Brewing Pernicious India Pale Ale, 7.3% ABV from the local Harris Teeter, this local brew is brewed in Asheville, North Carolina. Pernicious pours a yellow Pilsner like color with a slight hazy and a one and a half finger white head with a bitter lemon floral aroma with some grass pine faintly wafting in with a bitter taste of a slightly fruity lemony piney flavor with slime bitter hoppy notes in the middle and toward the back of the mouth with a clean finish that slowly smooth out bitter in the aftertaste that has a very light lemon flavor with a lighter mouthfeel. For a beer that 7.3% ABV Wicked Weed Brewing Pernicious India Pale Ale is easy to drink and is good getting a B+ here. I think that Pernicious could use more hops to give it the hoppy notes more of impact on you taste buds but other than that is good and you should try it! Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Originally posted on February 18th, 2013.
Well, it still is wintertime outside, well it sure looked like it here over the weekend with big snow hitting the Charlotte area, and I thought that would call for a nice dark stout. So I pick a few, one being The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout, 5.70% ABV. This is a sweet full-bodied stout, brewed in Farmville North Carolina. This milk stout uses lactose or milk sugar to give this its nice sweetness. They also a nice amount of highly roasted gains. Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout pours a thick black color with a quarter finger tan head that quickly dissipates and does leave tiny amounts of lacing. There was no light coming through the glass and I found no traces of carbonation bubbles. The aroma is big sweet and roasted with a hint of bakers chocolate. The aroma reminded me a little of coffee with cream. The taste is first sweet followed be a chocolate roasted coffee flavor with a hint of baker’s cocoa. The mouthfeel is more on the full side, the flavor really coats your mouth to leave a full finish with an aftertaste of sweet roasted chocolate coffee. But I thought that this Duck-rabbit was easy to drink. I am giving this an A. Good flavors all around on this, and they all work well with one another to create one heck of a good beer. Nothing about this beer is overly done or bad. I do recommend this beer and will certainly have this again. Please go out and get yourself a bottle to try and see what you think of The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Here are this week’s news happening in the Charlotte, North Carolina area!
- Wednesday, March 6th. Cookie-Inspired Beer and Cookieparing with NoDa Brewing. NoDa Brewing Company. 4 pm-7 pm. Tickets at Eventbrite.com. Join us on Wednesday, March 6 at NoDa Brewing after 4 p.m. to sample the brewery’s limited edition, cookie-inspired beers paired with cookies from local pastry chefs. Justin-Burke Samson, Laney Jahkel-Parrish (300 East), Hannah Heacock (Earl’s Grocery) and Samantha Allen (Wentworth & Fenn) put a pastry chef’s touch on four classic cookies. We’ll be there until cookies sell out, which might not take long, so get a ticket to make sure you get a chance to try these delicious desserts!
Guests must be 21+. Tickets recommended; cookie quantities are limited.
- Wednesday, March 6th. Launch Party – Untappd Beer Festival. Legion Brewing SouthPark. 4 pm-7 pm. Join Untappd to celebrate the launch of the Untappd Beer Festival! The festival will take place May 4th at Bank of America Stadium and the kickoff event will be held on March 6th from 4:00 – 7:00pm at Legion Brewing SouthPark! Come learn more about this awesome festival coming to the Queen City!
- Thursday, March 7th. Resident Culture Tap Takeover. Pop The Top Craft Beer Shop. 2 pm-10 pm. **UPDATE** We need to push the RC tap takeover out a week due to the beers not being ready by the 28th.**
We are extremely excited and elated to share the news that we will be doing a tap takeover with one of our favorite breweries in the QC….. @residentculture
Thursday, February 28th is when we’ll be tapping 3 sneak peek brand new beers that will later be released at the brewery on March 2nd! There is also the possibility of some other great stuff that RC will bring out, so you don’t want to miss out on this takeover!
#stayfunky @residentculture #plazamidwood #southend #bottleshoplif
- Thursday, March 7th. Cookie and Beer Pairing. Carolina Ale House Waverly 4 pm-9 pm. Tickets at Eventbrite.com. Cookies and beer, we can’t think of a better pairing!
Join us for a Cookie and Beer Pairing featuring 4 types of cookies and a flight of 4 beers from our taps!
Cookies Paired with:
Stone Tropic of Thunder Lager
Kentucky Blackberry Porter
Lonerider Sweet Josie
Cigar City Jai Alai
*Beer subject to change based on availability.
- Friday, March 8th and 9th. Bold Missy Tap Takeover. Pout Taproom. 5 am- 12 am. This Friday Bold Missy Brewing Company takes over Pour Taproom as we host the exclusive release of their Famous Glitter Beer – A Touch of Whimsy!
This is a night you do not want to miss!
DJ Hollywood will be providing the music from 9pm to midnight
Bold Missy will also be bringing their:
Irish Amber and Suffragette (Dark Kettle Sour)
Tag your friends and we’ll see you on Friday!
- Saturday, March 9th. Greenway IPA Release. Triple C Brewing Company. Back by popular demand, the first IPA we brewed back in 2012! Greenway IPA returns with the same hop punch and new to us Vienna and Carolina Gold Malt from Carolina Malt House, Inc.!
New Wrap Order will be on the patio!
- Saturday, March 9th. Dual Can Realise. Divine Barrel Brewing. 11 am-11 pm. Join us this Saturday, March 9th at 11am for our second ever can release! We’ll be releasing two beers for you before our One Year Anniversary Celebration! We’re bringing back fan favorite Ice Cream Paint Job and a new American IPA we’re calling Basement of My Brain. There will be NO limits on either beer and will be priced at $16.99 + tax per 4-pack.
Ice Cream Paint Job: Berliner Weisse, 4.6% ABV – A jammy Berliner fermented with vanilla, lactose and over 500 lbs of raspberries, sweet cherries, and blueberries. Sweet jammy fruit and vanilla explode on the forefront with a subdued lactic and berry tartness to round it out.
Basement of My Brain: American IPA, 6.5% ABV – A juicy IPA brewed and double dry-hopped with Mosaic, Cashmere, and Denali hops. Filled with dank and juicy hops, look for flavors of pine, mango, pineapple, and slight berry undertones.
- Sunday, March 10th. Cousins Maine Lobster at Lenny Boy Brewing. Lenny Boy Brewing Co. 12 pm-4 pm. Who wants more sunlight in their day? We do! Sunday, March 10th is Daylight Savings. Spend your extra daylight hour with us at Lenny Boy Brewing. We’ll be dishing out our famous Maine Lobster Rolls and Lenny Boy has all the beer you need. We’ll see you there.