I picked up both Terrapin Beer Co. Hopsecutioner IPA, 7.3% & Cheetos Crunchy Simply white Cheddar Jalapeño from my local grocery store. I will be reviewing Hopsecutioner soon. Cheetos Simply Cheddar Jalapeño are made with real cheese and are more of a light yellow color than the normal bright orange Cheeto color. They are long and knotted with a minimal cheese dust/coating, and they had a nice cheddar aroma with light jalapeño spice to them. The flavor is light on the jalapeño and you get more cheese, cheese hits your taste buds followed by the light jalapeño flavor with a good crunch, that comes together for a light spicy cheddar finish and very similar aftertaste. When the Cheetos are paired with Hopsecutioner the hoppy flavors carry the spicy notes well giving them a leg up in the flavor department and slightly mask the cheddar flavor and washes it out a little bit in the finish giving you am added hoppy not to the Cheetos aftertaste. Overall these Cheetos Crunchy Simply White Cheddar Jalapeño are not too bad getting a B- & as pairing with Terrapin Beer Co. Hopsecutioner IPA it’s also a B-. The chips fall short with jalapeño flavor, needs a little more, and the cheddar does get a tiny bit lost in the IPA hop notes. But I would not turn these two down if I was offered. Please enjoy responsibly! Cheers!
Originally posted on November 10th, 2012
On today’s shelves, you find many different IPA, (India Pale Ale) styles. But if there becomes more and more different style then a regular IPA might be somewhat forgotten. But not here, we have Full Sail Brewery IPA, 6.0% ABV from Hood River Oregon. This is just a simple IPA, and it’s sometimes good to go back to an original. This IPA pours a light orange color with a pillowy white head that looks like vanilla ice cream. The head does stay for a little while, and some light coming through the glass. I didn’t find a whole lot of carbonation on this, but I did see nice lacing though out. The aroma on this Full Sail IPA is a big soapy lemon and citrus fruit with a hint of a grassy note. This really smells like a good typical IPA. The taste on Full Sail IPA is lemony slightly citrusy and has a faint bitter hop dryness. The mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of crispness. This IPA kind of coats your tongue a little. The finish is good crisp with a nice bitter lemon flavor that stays in your mouth. The after taste really stays around in your mouth with a nice bitter hop. This is receiving a B+ from me. A great IPA, but could have some other citrus fruits, but still good with a lemon flavor. I DO recommend this IPA, any hoppy beer lover or IPA lover would like this, even a non-IPA/Hop drinker would like this. Give this a try please! I highly Full Sail Brewery IPA. recommend Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Here are this week’s news and events happening in the Charlotte, North Carolina area!
- Wednesday, February 19th. Crosswalk Melomel Release. GoodRoad CiderWorks. 4 pm-10 pm. Join us this Wednesday as we tap Crosswalk, a fruited mead with Cab Franc grapes, black currant, boysenberry, and sweet cherry! We’re thrilled to have Adeline’s Indian Cuisine serving up delicious food from 5-9pm as well!
- Wednesday, February 19th. 25th Anniversary Glass release. The Flying Saucer Charlotte. 7 pm-11:30 pm. Celebrating 25 Years of the original Flying Saucer with this badass 25oz Stein.
- Thursday, February 20th. Limited Release. Buffalo Trace Turtles on Pterodactyls. Birdsong Brewing Co. 3 pm-10 pm. Our Imperial Stout aged on cinnamon and cacao nibs in Buffalo Trace Barrels will be back on 2/20/20! Welcome back Turtles on Pterodactyls! We’re only making a limited amount of this fan-favorite so mark those calendars and join us for the release!
A new adventure awaited our brave pterodactyl and turtle dudes– a snarling mongrel stood in their way to freedom! What else to do but woo it with friendship? With their powers combined, our dino friends concocted a smooth, dark imperial stout with cacao nibs, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Aged in Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrels, this Prehistoric Dog variant will go down in history as one bodacious brew.
- Thursday, February 20th. King Cake Pastry Stout Release. Catawba Brewing Company. 3 pm-10 pm. The King of Mardi Gras will return for a second year in a row on Feb. 20th – just in time for some Mardi Gras festivities.
- Thursday, February 20th. Hopscraper Hazy Triple IPA & Kingdom Belgian Quadruple Release. Triple C Brewing Company. 4 pm-10 pm. This amped up Triple IPA is brewed with honey and tangerines. Hazy & golden orange in appearance, with a massive nose of orange pulp, underripe pineapple, and a hint of passion fruit. Flavors of citrus sherbet and tropical smoothie dominate with a hint of honey sweetness and floral hop flavors.
**Does contain Lactose
10.3% ABV This Belgian quad pours a beautiful deep ruby color. Aromas of mild Belgian spicy esters and sweet toffee blend into flavors of plump raisin, juicy plum, sweet fig, and a hint of black cherry. A touch of sweetness and alcohol upfront, smooth on the finish.
- Thursday, February 20th. Beer and Cookie Pairing. Sunset Brewing. 7:30 pm-9:30 pm. Tickets at digitalcookie.girlscouts.org. Come join the ladies of Charlotte Girls Pint Out at Sunstead Brewing for a cookie and beer pairing. Bring one box of cookies to share. If you haven’t found a scout to purchase from, click the ticket link below to help Jaime Lowe’s daughter with her sales.
This is a ladies-only event. Please RSVP and let us know in the discussion which cookie you will be bringing.
Each lady will be responsible for the price of their own flight.
There are two entrances into the parking lot, one is a left off of Palmer St which has you drive right down beside the brewery, perpendicular to South Graham. The other entrance is off of South Graham Street, right past the building on the right, or right before the building if you are heading towards the Panthers Stadium, from Southend.
- Friday, February 21st. Blood Orange Gose Release. NoDa Brewing Company. 3 pm-10 pm. Join us for a new Gose, coming to a can near you. 😆🍻
*Draft and cans will be available at both locations.*
This Gose sitting at 4% ABV, is a salted kettle-soured German-style Wheat Ale. It’s fermented in blood orange puree and brewed with blood orange peel. 🤤🍊
This zesty brew is gluten-reduced and offers the perfect flavor profile while being a light brew you can sip on as often as you’d like!
- Friday, February 21st. Cheese & Cider Pairing. Red Clay Ciderworks. 7 pm-8:30 pm. Tickets at eventbrite.com. Red Clay Ciderworks and Orrman’s Cheese Shop are joining forces to bring you a sensational night of cheese and cider pairings!
Cidermaker Jay Bradish and cheese expert Rachel Klebaur will be on hand to walk you through four different pairings, each with their own delectable panache.
Ticket holders, please check-in at the bar upon arrival.
(Please be aware that a minimum number of attendees is needed to hold the event)
- Saturday, February 22nd. Mardi Gras at Sycamore! Sycamore Brewing. 12 pm-11 pm. Celebrate Mardi Gras 2020 with us in the Sycamore Beer Garden! Delicious Beer and Great Food by Bayou Betty and Caribbean Buzz Food Truck and More! Live Music by @ScOOt Pittman, Wag the Dog and @Late Night Special!
- Saturday, February 22nd. Triple Can Release. Wooden Robot Brewery. 12 pm-12 am. Join us Saturday, February 22nd at Noon at both The Brewery – South End & The Chamber – NoDa for a Triple Can Drop of three of our favorite beers:
Space Magic – IPA – 7.0%
100% Local Barley and Oat Malt
Dry-Hopped with Mosaic & El Dorado
$14 (+ tax)
Pops’ Pilsner – German-Style Pilsner – 5.0%
100% Local Pilsner Malt
$12 (+ tax)
Beast Foot – Imperial Espresso Stout – 12.0%
Imperial Stout w/ Espresso Beans
100% Local Barley, Oat, and Roasted Malts
Locally Roasted Enderly Coffee Espresso Beans
$18 (+ tax)
ALL Sold in 4-packs (16oz) – No individual cans
No purchase limit
We will also have a limited amount of each beer on draft.
These cans will be FRESH off the canning line! Come party!
I had this Fonta Flora Brewery Hop Beard IPA, 6.9% on a flight board at Fonta Flora’s Optimist Hall location here in Charlotte, NC. I really enjoyed the two flights I had, and really enjoy their Hop Bead IPA so much that I took some home. Fonta Flora brews it beer in Nebo North Carolina outside Morganton. Hop Bead pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a two-finger sticky white head that leaves nice lacing behind with dry aroma of pine, some citrus fruits, and nice hoppy notes that lead into a flavor that is bitter with pine and hoppy notes with some dryness and nice hints of a citrus note. Hop Bead IPA has a dry piney finish with a somewhat similar aftertaste with faint citrus and light to almost medium mouthfeel. The citrus notes on this IPA are very faint but overall this is a good solid IPA that you can have a few pints of and not get your tastebuds fatigued. It is an A because it is not overpowering in any way and has nice easy flavor but enough to let you know it is an IPA and that’s not bad. Try Fonta Flora Brewery Hop Beard IPA I recommend it! Please enjoy responsibly!
Picked up Sierra Nevada Brewing Company 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale, 6.0% ABV from my local Harris Teeter supermarket. This Sierra Nevada beer is a limited edition hoppy beer and celebrates Sierra Nevada’s forty years of brewing since 1980 when they brewed the Pale Ale. 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale pours orange with a two and a quarter white fluffy head that sticks around making awesome lacing throughout the glass with aromas of nice but faint fruit, pine, and some nice bitter notes. The taste is not too far off the aroma with light fruity notes alongside bitter pine flavors that come together for a light bitter pine finish and carries into a pine aftertaste with a somewhat light mouthfeel. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale isn’t bad, I just think there are better hoppy ales out there, so I think that it’s a C+. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale does, however, follow what Sierra Nevada Brewing has been doing for the last forty years and I find the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company to be a great brewery overall. This beer was just above average for me. Please enjoy responsibly! Cheers!
Originally posted April 15th, 2017.
A few days ago I reviewed Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Torpedo Extra IPA which is the base beer for another Sierra Nevada beer, Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA, 6.7% ABV, both beers use the one of a kind Sierra Nevada Torpedo hop. Tropical Torpedo is a fairly new year-round beer. Sierra Nevada Brewing says on the back label that Tropical Torpedo is inspired by island life, and they created am IPA completely disconnected from the mainland. Tropical Torpedo pours a nice golden color with a three and a half finger of white head with some bubbles within it. The head is somewhat slow to fade into a thin white hazy top to the beer. The aroma is as topical as I was expecting, but there are some tropical notes to it, like nice pineapple, and faint mango. Didn’t get any other tropical fruits on the aroma. Tropical Torpedo has a nice fruiter taste to it from is sibling Torpedo, you get nice pineapple, some mango and little notes of papaya with some bitterness toward the middle and back of the mouth. The mouthfeel is light almost medium with a nice bitter tropical finish that sends you into an after taste of pineapple mango and very faint papaya with a bigger bitterness, but nothing overwhelming. This beer is more on the fruitier side of the IPA spectrum, which I tend to like a bit more, but it wasn’t as tropical as I was expecting it to be, but still pretty good. I give Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA a B. Some of the tropical fruits came through stronger than other and all of those fruits should have been slightly more pronounced in their flavors. But that’s not so bad that it kills this otherwise good IPA. Tropical Torpedo is a good beer for any time of year especially spring and summer. So go and try Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Tropical Torpedo, Tropical IPA if you like fruity tasting IPAs. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Here are this week’s news and events happening in the Charlotte, North Carolina area!
- Thursday, February 13th. Galentine’s Day at Sycamore. Sycamore Brewing. 4 pm-10pm. Join us for Galentine’s Day at Sycamore THIS Thursday! We’ll have Half-Priced Wild Blossom Cider and wine flights all night long! Food by TOLA Rose Italian Eats Food Truck, delicious snacks from Holy City Waffles (including Red Velvet Cake, Strawberry Cheesecake and Pink Cookie Dough Dip Waffles), Small cakes AND Live music by Late Night Special!
- Thursday, February 13th. Raspberry Cobbler Sour Release. Catawaba Brewing. 3 pm-10 pm. We’ve got a delicious Passport beer release for you this week – Raspberry Cobbler Sour! This pink drink is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
- Friday, February 14th, PTT x Resident Culture Valentine’s Day Tap Takeover. Pop the Top Craft Beer Shop. 12 pm-11 pm. Forget about chocolates and flowers for your significant other. Instead, bring them to our Resident Culture Brewing Company Tap Takeover this Friday 2/14 Valentine’s Day! We’ve got dark beers instead of dark chocolate because let’s face it, beer makes everything sweeter 🙂
We’ll be previewing one of the most anticipated stouts this season that will be released the next day at the brewery. So come out and enjoy the funkiest and most delicious beers in town!
// THA BEERS //
>> DEDICATED MIND EXPANSION BREAKFAST STOUT // 13% ABV // BBA Imperial Stout aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels for 14 months, conditioned on Toasted Pecans, High Low Farms Maple Syrup from Vermont, and Pure Intentions Coffee
>> HIGH CULTURE – Hazy Double IPA, Collab w/ High Branch Brewing Co. // 8% ABV // Hopped with our 2019 Selected Mosaic, Simcoe, and Galaxy. It’s a hazy tropical bomb full of fire. We can’t get enough
>> HOT TAKES: WHY CAN I GET A DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER BUT NOT A DOUBLE HOTDOG – Fruited Kettle Sour // 5.5% ABV // Cherry Lime Kettle Sour inspired by the slushies at a certain drive-thru
>> OVER SOUL – NEIPA // 7% ABV // Featuring Strata hops back with a Citra bang. It’s drinking super soft and fruity with a great juicy mouthfeel. Tropical and citrus flavors & aromas all the way
>> ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK? – Baltic Porter // 8.2% ABV // Dark Lager that is chocolaty & smooth but still crisp and dry
>> ADVANCED FALCONRY – Hazy Pale Ale // 6% ABV // Hazy Pale Ale hopped with Mosaic and Rakau hops
>> THERE IS NO LIGHT WITHOUT THE DARK – Schwarzbier // 5% ABV // Easy drinking, light, crisp, and crushable malty lager
- Friday, February 14th. Single AF: Second Annual Anit-Valentines Day Party. Wooden Robot Brewery. 5 pm-12 am. ARE YOU SINGLE AF? We have a party just for you.
Join us for our Second Annual Anti-Valentines Day Party Friday 2.14.20 from 5pm-Midnight.
This party will be the debut of our brand new taproom expansion & temp. controlled, outdoor Biergarten!
We will have flights of a brand new Cherry Currant Gose, Roseson & Beast Foot!
Crowned Sparrow Craft Co. will be with us from 6:30-8:30pm to create your own Voodoo Doll! She will have all the supplies you’ll need to create your own talisman of contempt over your Single AF status, including lots of different colors and embellishments to focus your energy on! Hit the link to sign up -> https://www.crownedsparrowco.com/events/2020/2/14
Walk-ins are available!
We will also have Anti-Valentines day desserts with proceeds benefitting The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation!
If you’re Single AF & proud (or lonely, that’s ok too), come drink with us!
- Saturday, February 15th. Breakfast Stout & Brunch. Sunstead Brewing. 12 pm-3 pm. Inspired by our Russian Imperial Stout – Vladimir Puddin’, we’ve crafted a tasty morning brew, rested on whole coffee beans from our friends at Jags Head. At Noon we pour foam-laden pints of this special release directly from our serving tanks. Bring your taste buds too. Our brewer and chef are working on some unique creations for a delicious waffle brunch! Grab a breakfast stout and some waffles covered with your favorite toppings.
*We will offer growler fills after 3pm. After 3pm we’ll also open up our regular menu*
- Saturday, February 15th. Hi-Wire Brewing Spotlight. Carolina Beer Temple Charlotte. 12 pm-11 pm. We welcome back Hi-Wire for a Post Valentine’s Day Tap Takeover.
Tap List TBA
Birdsong Brewing Co. Dressed to Chil, White Ale 5.0% ABV with Tangerine, Essential Oil, & Spices. is a Witbier style purchased from my local Harris Teeter grocery store and is brewed here local in Charlotte, NC. Dressed to Chill pours a semi hazy yellow color with a bright two finger white head that leaves behind decent lacing and gives off a floral-like aroma that is very similar to a room deodorizer, there is a little faint banana citrus spice whiffing into your nose. Taste is flowery with a bit of citrus tangerine spice that finishes with a floral citrusy potpourri finish that carries into the aftertaste with a nice faint spiced with a medium mouthfeel. This has a floral potpourri taste to it that holds it back and gives in a B-. The tangerine character of this White Ale does add a good aspect to the overall flavor but does not really interact with the essential oil, which sounds like a nice idea but isn’t terrible is okay at best. Overall Birdsong Brewing Co. Dressed to Chil, White Ale is the worst beer I’ve had. Please enjoy responsibly! Cheers!
Wilmington Brewing Company Lion Cake Double Dry-Hopped Tripe IPA, 10% ABV which I purchased at Pop the Top Craft Beer Shop while I was enjoying the Burial Beer Co Tap Takeover. This big triple IPA is brewed with Lactose sugar, Pale Malt, Wheat, Oats, & Carapils along with Citra & Mosaic hops in the Whirlpool and in the first and second dry-hopping. Lion Cake pours a hazy yellow that looks a bit dark with a two-finger white head. Hold this beer up to your nose and you get a sweet juicy fruit aroma that is soft with a bit of a creamy yet hoppy note. Now take a sip and you get some juicy citrus fruit (orange, grapefruit, and very faint lemon) that has a little creamy sweetness to it with little/low bitterness to it that does grows a little as it passes the back of your mouth and finish slightly bitterer than it starts with some citrus fruits that do carry into the aftertaste with a bit of hoppiness and some strong alcoholic notes with a soft but fuller mouthfeel. The flavor of Wilmington Brewing Company Lion Cake Double Dry-Hopped Tripe IPA is soft and delicious getting an A-, the big nature of Lion Cake (the alcohol) does keep it down just in the slightest bit. If you like big Triple IPAs then Wilmington Brewing Company Lion Cake Double Dry-Hopped Tripe IPA is your beer I recommend it! Please enjoy responsibly! Cheers!
Originally posted December 21st, 2015.
Well here is yet another IPA surprise! Yes, there are probably a lot of IPA reviews on here since I’ve started The Best Beer Blog IPAs have grown on me, and I enjoy them more than I used to. Here is a Foothills brewed IPA, and no it isn’t the IPA of the Month, spoiler alert that is coming real soon. Anyhow this foothills IPA in question is Jade IPA, 7.4% ABV with 86 IBU (International Bittering Unit). Jade is named after the Jade hop which is found in the orient, is that name still used these days, well Jade hops are in the Pacific area of the globe and have striking tropical fruit notes. That makes sense for a Pacific hop. Foothills also dry hops additions of Chinook and Citra hops. Jade IPA pours a beautiful golden color with a two-finger white head that sticks around for a bit before fizzing away. The aroma is yes tropical with pineapple, mango with earthy notes and bits of orange from the Citra hops. The taste is hoppy with tropical notes of pineapple, mango orange with earthy hope notes and a slight bitter kiwi that is faint at best. Jade IPA is strongly hoppy but still easy drinking. You have to see past the bold hoppy bitter flavor and really taste the fruity elements to this IPA. Well, you should drink any or most IPAs that way to enjoy them. The mouthfeel is on the higher side of light barely hitting a medium mouthfeel and has a nice bitter tropical peppery finish that gives way to a bigger bitter hop after taste with some orange and less of a topical fruitiness. This is a hit in my book, YES! I give this an A. The big hoppiness that Jade has is complemented by the tropical and citrus flavor that mingle well together to give way to a great IPA that has a big IBU but does not drink like it. I think that you should try Foothills Jade IPA! Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly! Happy Holidays!