Here are this week’s news happening in the Charlotte, North Carolina area.
- Thursday, January 31st. Seasonal Release: Hazy Sexy Cool New England IPA! Birdsong Brewing Co. 3 pm-10 pm. Back by VERY popular demand, we’re reintroducing our New England Style IPA, Hazy Sexy Cool, as a seasonal this year! We first released Hazy Sexy Cool last year as part of our IPA series and it was so popular that we’ve decided to bring it back and keep it around a little longer!
Hazy Sexy Cool will release in the tap room at 3pm on Thursday, 1/31/19! Look for it around town at local shops starting the following week!
Hazy, sexy, and cool. We’ve been making hazy, unfiltered beer for years, long before the haze craze and love for the New England style IPA, but why not really haze it up? Brewed with Citra, Mosaic & El Dorado hops, this IPA is sure to deliver all that citrusy juiciness we’ve come to know and love.
- Thursday, January 31st. Fist Monthly Battle of the Brews. Carolina Beer Temple Charlotte. 6 pm-9 pm. Tickets at eventbrite.com. Well, all of the breweries will leave, but only one gets to win! This marks our first monthly BATTLE OF THE BREWS, where 3 breweries from across the country battle for YOUR vote! Here’s how it works. Three breweries each pick one of their best beers. For one night only, all three will be on tap and available for your enjoyment. Whichever beer sells the most or kicks their keg first wins, and earns a guaranteed tap at the Temple for the next whole month. They also are guaranteed the chance to defend their title of Grand Brewery Champion at the next month’s battle! So come on out, support your favorites, meet reps from the brewery, and have a great time, all the while helping us crown a winner.
Great Lakes Brewing
Wooden Robot Brewing
- Friday, February 1st. Beer Release Purple Blaze Common Lager. Blue Blaze Brewing. 2 pm-10 pm. Join us for the re-release of Purple Blaze Common Lager in a super small batch on draught only. This is our interpretation of the California common, or steam, style of lager that is truly American in origin.
What’s in a name? The purple color refers to when people of different political stripes come together for the common good. California common, or steam, style of beers were very popular with working-class folks during the 1800s and early 1900s.
We’ll have local food truck The Plated Palette at 6pm.
Swing by the taproom from 2:00 – 10:00 for a pint!
(With super limited quantities, please no growlers. Thank you!)
- Friday, February 1st. Lord Hobo Brewing Release. Flying Saucer Charlotte. 6 pm-2 am. Welcoming this sought after brewery to the area by tapping their flagship Boom Sauce IPA, Meat & Potatoes Stout, and Consolation Prize Double IPA
- Saturday, February 2nd. Beer for Breakfast! A Donut and Beer Pairing Part Deux! Pop the Top Bottle Shop. 10 am-1 pm. **UPDATE** Beers and Donuts finalized below!!
We’re back at it and doing another collab pairing of beer and donuts from Your Mom’s Donuts! See below for the pairings. After getting through January, what better way to celebrate than with the best selection of curated beer and donuts from your favorite bottle shop?!?! Deets below:
– Burial Beer Co. collab with WeldWerks Brewing Company Tessellation of Space Moroccan Coffee Spiced Imperial Stout. Brewed with lactose, Jamaican allspice, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, and star anise. *Suggested donut pairing will be a Dark Chocolate Ganache and crystalized ginger crumble donut.
– Catawba Brewing Company – Charlotte Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout with whole roasted NC peanuts & Madagascar Vanilla Beans. *Suggested donut pairing will be a Peanut Butter, banana, and bacon donut.
– Wooden Robot Brewery Good Morning Vietnam Coffee Blonde Ale. *Suggested donut pairing will be a citrus curd donut.
– Foothills Brewing People’s Cherry Porter aged in bourbon barrels with tart cherries from the Pacific NW. *Suggested donut pairing will be a Vanilla Bean icing and pistachio crumble donut.
A few items to know for the event:
> A flight of 4 beers (4 5oz. tasters) from the above-suggested pairings as well as any flight of beers will run at $13.
> Each beer above will also be available to purchase individually as either a 16oz. or 10oz. pour (depending on the ABV of the beer) that can be enjoyed with any of the donuts
> The event will go until all donuts are finished, but the beer will continue to pour until closing time at 11pm
We hope you can come out to this very popular event and enjoy this custom pairing. Cheers!
- Saturday, February 2nd. Can Release: Double Blaze Black IPA. Blue Blaze Brewing. 2 pm-7 pm. We are releasing Double Blaze Black IPA in cans for the first time in an exclusively small batch! Outside of the available kegs, we will only can one round in the amount of roughly 40 cases.
When hiking, double blazes indicate a junction of two trails, sharp turn, or caution. For our Double Blaze Black IPA (ABV 6.1%), we brought together the mash profile of a porter & hop profile of an IPA to form something unique & delicious: balanced citrus hop flavors & tropical aromas, packed tightly into a medium‐body dark ale.
Live Music – TBD
Food Truck – A Taste of Culture
- Sunday, February 3rd Sour Draft Kids – Beer Release. Legion Brewing. 10 am-8 pm. The Kids are taking over! Sour Draft Kids will be in the taproom on Sunday, February 3rd, after making its debut at Queen City Brewers Festival the day before. This kettle sour is a mix of sweet and fruity with a tart, mouth-watering effect that will bring back those fond childhood memories.
This event is fun for the whole family! We’ll be serving up a special Sour Patch Kids Mocktail for our younger friends, plus they’ll have the opportunity to decorate the chalk walls with their illustrations of Sour Patch Kids.
- Monday, February 4th. Früh Bock Release. The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery. 11 am- 10pm. Früh is “bock” on Monday, February 4th! Join us for the release of our spring seasonal.
“Früh” (pron. “froo”) means “early” in German, and is also short for “Frühling,” meaning “spring.” Our seasonal “Spring Bock” captures the promise of warmer days ahead, combining a slight malty sweetness with a refreshing touch of citrus aroma from its noble Bavarian hops. The result is an amazingly fresh, crisp beer that masks a higher alcohol content in its smooth character. Big bodied and warm enough for chilly evenings, but bright and aroma-hop forward enough to compliment beers on the patio.
Like all OMB beers, Früh Bock is all-natural — brewed in strict accordance with the famous German beer purity law of 1516: the “Reinheitsgebot.” In line with Reinheitsgebot, it was brewed using natural carbonation from the pure CO2 produced by the yeast during fermentation. We pull our brews from our lager tanks weekly, so you know it’s fresh. And, it was kept cold from production to delivery to you, because all beer should be kept cold to maximize freshness. We hope you enjoy this pure, fresh, cold beer. Prost!
Under 21 welcome at OMB. Pets welcome outside in our Biergarten.
Visit our website for more info on Früh Bock: https://www.oldemeckbrew.com/beer/fruhbock