Picked up Sierra Nevada Brewing Company 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale, 6.0% ABV from my local Harris Teeter supermarket. This Sierra Nevada beer is a limited edition hoppy beer and celebrates Sierra Nevada’s forty years of brewing since 1980 when they brewed the Pale Ale. 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale pours orange with a two and a quarter white fluffy head that sticks around making awesome lacing throughout the glass with aromas of nice but faint fruit, pine, and some nice bitter notes. The taste is not too far off the aroma with light fruity notes alongside bitter pine flavors that come together for a light bitter pine finish and carries into a pine aftertaste with a somewhat light mouthfeel. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale isn’t bad, I just think there are better hoppy ales out there, so I think that it’s a C+. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale does, however, follow what Sierra Nevada Brewing has been doing for the last forty years and I find the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company to be a great brewery overall. This beer was just above average for me. Please enjoy responsibly! Cheers!
Originally posted April 15th, 2017.
A few days ago I reviewed Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Torpedo Extra IPA which is the base beer for another Sierra Nevada beer, Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA, 6.7% ABV, both beers use the one of a kind Sierra Nevada Torpedo hop. Tropical Torpedo is a fairly new year-round beer. Sierra Nevada Brewing says on the back label that Tropical Torpedo is inspired by island life, and they created am IPA completely disconnected from the mainland. Tropical Torpedo pours a nice golden color with a three and a half finger of white head with some bubbles within it. The head is somewhat slow to fade into a thin white hazy top to the beer. The aroma is as topical as I was expecting, but there are some tropical notes to it, like nice pineapple, and faint mango. Didn’t get any other tropical fruits on the aroma. Tropical Torpedo has a nice fruiter taste to it from is sibling Torpedo, you get nice pineapple, some mango and little notes of papaya with some bitterness toward the middle and back of the mouth. The mouthfeel is light almost medium with a nice bitter tropical finish that sends you into an after taste of pineapple mango and very faint papaya with a bigger bitterness, but nothing overwhelming. This beer is more on the fruitier side of the IPA spectrum, which I tend to like a bit more, but it wasn’t as tropical as I was expecting it to be, but still pretty good. I give Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA a B. Some of the tropical fruits came through stronger than other and all of those fruits should have been slightly more pronounced in their flavors. But that’s not so bad that it kills this otherwise good IPA. Tropical Torpedo is a good beer for any time of year especially spring and summer. So go and try Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Tropical Torpedo, Tropical IPA if you like fruity tasting IPAs. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Here are this week’s news and events happening in the Charlotte, North Carolina area!
- Thursday, February 13th. Galentine’s Day at Sycamore. Sycamore Brewing. 4 pm-10pm. Join us for Galentine’s Day at Sycamore THIS Thursday! We’ll have Half-Priced Wild Blossom Cider and wine flights all night long! Food by TOLA Rose Italian Eats Food Truck, delicious snacks from Holy City Waffles (including Red Velvet Cake, Strawberry Cheesecake and Pink Cookie Dough Dip Waffles), Small cakes AND Live music by Late Night Special!
- Thursday, February 13th. Raspberry Cobbler Sour Release. Catawaba Brewing. 3 pm-10 pm. We’ve got a delicious Passport beer release for you this week – Raspberry Cobbler Sour! This pink drink is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
- Friday, February 14th, PTT x Resident Culture Valentine’s Day Tap Takeover. Pop the Top Craft Beer Shop. 12 pm-11 pm. Forget about chocolates and flowers for your significant other. Instead, bring them to our Resident Culture Brewing Company Tap Takeover this Friday 2/14 Valentine’s Day! We’ve got dark beers instead of dark chocolate because let’s face it, beer makes everything sweeter 🙂
We’ll be previewing one of the most anticipated stouts this season that will be released the next day at the brewery. So come out and enjoy the funkiest and most delicious beers in town!
// THA BEERS //
>> DEDICATED MIND EXPANSION BREAKFAST STOUT // 13% ABV // BBA Imperial Stout aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels for 14 months, conditioned on Toasted Pecans, High Low Farms Maple Syrup from Vermont, and Pure Intentions Coffee
>> HIGH CULTURE – Hazy Double IPA, Collab w/ High Branch Brewing Co. // 8% ABV // Hopped with our 2019 Selected Mosaic, Simcoe, and Galaxy. It’s a hazy tropical bomb full of fire. We can’t get enough
>> HOT TAKES: WHY CAN I GET A DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER BUT NOT A DOUBLE HOTDOG – Fruited Kettle Sour // 5.5% ABV // Cherry Lime Kettle Sour inspired by the slushies at a certain drive-thru
>> OVER SOUL – NEIPA // 7% ABV // Featuring Strata hops back with a Citra bang. It’s drinking super soft and fruity with a great juicy mouthfeel. Tropical and citrus flavors & aromas all the way
>> ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK? – Baltic Porter // 8.2% ABV // Dark Lager that is chocolaty & smooth but still crisp and dry
>> ADVANCED FALCONRY – Hazy Pale Ale // 6% ABV // Hazy Pale Ale hopped with Mosaic and Rakau hops
>> THERE IS NO LIGHT WITHOUT THE DARK – Schwarzbier // 5% ABV // Easy drinking, light, crisp, and crushable malty lager
- Friday, February 14th. Single AF: Second Annual Anit-Valentines Day Party. Wooden Robot Brewery. 5 pm-12 am. ARE YOU SINGLE AF? We have a party just for you.
Join us for our Second Annual Anti-Valentines Day Party Friday 2.14.20 from 5pm-Midnight.
This party will be the debut of our brand new taproom expansion & temp. controlled, outdoor Biergarten!
We will have flights of a brand new Cherry Currant Gose, Roseson & Beast Foot!
Crowned Sparrow Craft Co. will be with us from 6:30-8:30pm to create your own Voodoo Doll! She will have all the supplies you’ll need to create your own talisman of contempt over your Single AF status, including lots of different colors and embellishments to focus your energy on! Hit the link to sign up -> https://www.crownedsparrowco.com/events/2020/2/14
Walk-ins are available!
We will also have Anti-Valentines day desserts with proceeds benefitting The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation!
If you’re Single AF & proud (or lonely, that’s ok too), come drink with us!
- Saturday, February 15th. Breakfast Stout & Brunch. Sunstead Brewing. 12 pm-3 pm. Inspired by our Russian Imperial Stout – Vladimir Puddin’, we’ve crafted a tasty morning brew, rested on whole coffee beans from our friends at Jags Head. At Noon we pour foam-laden pints of this special release directly from our serving tanks. Bring your taste buds too. Our brewer and chef are working on some unique creations for a delicious waffle brunch! Grab a breakfast stout and some waffles covered with your favorite toppings.
*We will offer growler fills after 3pm. After 3pm we’ll also open up our regular menu*
- Saturday, February 15th. Hi-Wire Brewing Spotlight. Carolina Beer Temple Charlotte. 12 pm-11 pm. We welcome back Hi-Wire for a Post Valentine’s Day Tap Takeover.
Tap List TBA