Terrapin Beer Co. Hopsecutioner IPA, 7.3% ABV purchased in a six-pack twelve-ounce can form from my local supermarket is brewed in Athens, Georgia with Warrior, Chinook, Simcoe. Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial hops yeah that’s six different hops verities. Hopsecutioner pours an orange color with a two-finger white head that fades into a thin cloud on top. This IPA has dank garlic and onion aroma with nice hoppy bitter notes that then invite you into a taste that follows the nose with garlic and onion bitter hop notes that don’t overwhelm your palate. Hopsecutioner finishes with a nice hoppy malt flavor and comes to a nice bitter dank aftertaste with hints of very faint garlicky fruit notes all with a medium mouthfeel. Terrapin Beer Co. Hopsecutioner IPA is surprisingly good for an IPA that sounds like it to be a real wallop of hops to your tastebuds, it defiantly hopped and I give this an A. For have six varieties of hops it has a bit of smoothness about and I if you like classic styles IPA then this is right up your alley. Please drink responsibly! Cheers!
Originally posted on February 21st, 2012
Yes now, this is a beer that is following a new yet small trend in beer styles, rye. Rye is a cousin to wheat, looks and grows like wheat. There are several different styles of rye beer, rye IPA, rye ale, rye pale ale just to name a few. This Terrapin brew is 5.3 abv and pours a nice pale orange color with a white head. There is a definite rye scent present like rye bread, along with a nice hoppiness. It has a slightly similar taste to a weak IPA but not in a bad way. The taste is hoppy but not SO hoppy like an IPA, is smooth kind of crisp until the end. Yes, there is a nice rye bread flavor to this pale ale. The aftertaste is a little sour and hoppy but just enough to make it a bit interesting. I think so. Rye beers maybe a fad, but I think they may just be here to stay, and what a good stay it will be. I like this because it has a lot of different characteristics and flavors to it. That to me, along with the rye is interesting to me. I really enjoy interesting beers and that is what beer-loving is all about. That is a good Terrapin. Try it!! Cheers! Please drink responsibly!
Here are this week’s news and events happening in the Charlotte, North Carolina area!
- Wednesday, February 26th. Foothills Brewing Event. Duckworth’s Taphouse & Grill Rea Farms. 6 pm-8 pm. Help us celebrate Foothills’ 15th Anniversary with beer samples (hello, Barrel-Aged Sexual Chocolate!) and swag giveaways!
Barrel-Aged Sexual Chocolate
Craft Happiness IPA Project – Wish IPA
- Thursday, February 27th. Wreak-Havoc American Barely Wine Release. Triple C Brewing Company. 4 pm-10 pm. An American barley wine with aromas of fruity-esters, caramel, and toffee. Pours a light copper in color, with flavors of caramel malt sweetness, charred sugar, and a hint of bourbon. With a dry finish and deceiving drinkability, this will ensure that havoc will be wrecked!
- Thursday, February 27th. Cranes in the Sky Draft Release. Triple C Brewing Company. 4 pm-10 pm. We have a new Hazy Pale Ale out draft only for this release followed by a second with cans soon!
This hazy pale pours a light yellow with a pillowy white head. Aromas of juicy fruit, candied pineapple, sweet mango, and a hint of shredded coconut. Flavors of tropical fruits, bright citrus, juicy mango, and a slight melon presence. With a soft bitterness and creamy mouthfeel, this pale will bring you to the tropical beaches of the southern coast.
- Thursday, February 27th. Banana Pancakes Hefeweizen Release. Pilot Brewing. 2 pm-10 pm. Drop-in on Thursday, February 27 for the release of our new Banana Pancakes Hefeweizen by a guest brewer, Kylee Gordon! This beer was brewed with Maris Otter malt and maple syrup.
- Friday, February 28th. A-MAIZE-ING Southeastern IPA Release Pilot Brewing. 11 am-10 pm. Join us for the release of our next Southeastern IPA, A-Maize-Ing! This was brewed with flaked maize and single hopped with mosaic.
Enjoy $3 goblets all day this Friday!
- Saturday, February 29th. Too Blessed to Be Stressed. Free Range Brewing. 12 pm-11 pm. Join us for Too Blessed to be Stressed. This German Helles Lager, sitting at 5% ABV, is a collaboration between breweries to celebrate the life of Scott Brooks. The NoDa and Plaza neighborhood breweries wanted to honor Scott and his family for the impact they have had on the NoDa community, through Brooks Sandwich House.
The batch is to be split in kegs for each brewery taproom, while 100% of the proceeds of sales will be donated to Habitat Charlotte in honor of Scott Brooks.
The charity was close to the family’s heart and was the charity they selected to benefit from the sales of the batch. The beer is styled in a traditional German Helles Lager (German Light Lager) and is easy drinking, approachable, versatile for food pairing and a style we hope Scott would enjoy.
Too Blessed to be Stressed” t-shirt. 100% of net profits will go to Habitat for Humanity of Charlotte benefitting the 2.1 acres of land donated by the Brooks family in 2019.
Moreover, with the blessing of the Brooks Family, Glory Days Apparel is partnering with Habitat For Humanity of Charlotte. They have designed and are selling a t-shirt to echo Scott’s frequent mantra of “Too Blessed To Be Stressed”, heard often as he would greet customers. You can preorder this shirt on their website now. They will also be available for sale at our NE taproom on the day of this release.
Free Range Brewing
NoDa Brewing Company
Birdsong Brewing Co.
Resident Culture Brewing Company
Divine Barrel Brewing
Bold Missy Brewery
Wooden Robot Brewery
- Saturday, February 29th, Hoppin’ 2 Year Anniversary. Hoppin’, 11 am-11:30 pm. Free tickets at eventbrite.com. **OUR BIGGEST EVENT EVER AND IT IS COMPLETELY FREE**
We’ve made it for 2 years and are ready to celebrate with our biggest party ever! If you came to our 1-year party last year then you know this isn’t a party to be missed! As a thank, you to all of our amazing supporters the tickets for this event are completely FREE!
This celebration will include the unveiling of our special 2 Year Anniversary beer in collaboration with Seaboard Brewing, an incredible DJ spinning music all day, a photo booth, beer & wine specials, specialty beers on tap, food by Twisted Eats, Scratch Off Style Giveaway (first 500 people will receive prizes), and many more surprises that we will reveal the closer we get to the date!
So make sure you clear your calendar on February 29th and get ready to celebrate Hoppin’s 2 Year Anniversary!
- Saturday, February 29th. Big Fat Juicy Mango IPA Taproom Can Release. Sycamore Brewing. 12 pm-11 pm. Get em’ while you can! This limited delicious IPA will be available THIS Saturday in our taproom! Brewed with oats, milk sugar, and ripe mangoes. Heavily hopped with Citra, Idaho 7, Mosaic, and Galaxy!
- Saturday, February 29th. Take Me Home Tonight Can & Draft Release! 2.29. The Unknown Brewing company. 12 pm-11 pm. With an 8.8% ABV, our Hazy Double IPA is just screaming Take Me Home Tonight! Releases Saturday, 2/29 in cans and on draft, only in the Tap Room!
Take Me Home Tonight is a “whatever the question is, the answer is yes” kind of beer.
DISCLAIMER: Any decisions made while drinking Take Me Home Tonight are at the expense of the drinker and are not a direct reflection of Unknown Brewery. But just like Ronnie sang…
I picked up both Terrapin Beer Co. Hopsecutioner IPA, 7.3% & Cheetos Crunchy Simply white Cheddar Jalapeño from my local grocery store. I will be reviewing Hopsecutioner soon. Cheetos Simply Cheddar Jalapeño are made with real cheese and are more of a light yellow color than the normal bright orange Cheeto color. They are long and knotted with a minimal cheese dust/coating, and they had a nice cheddar aroma with light jalapeño spice to them. The flavor is light on the jalapeño and you get more cheese, cheese hits your taste buds followed by the light jalapeño flavor with a good crunch, that comes together for a light spicy cheddar finish and very similar aftertaste. When the Cheetos are paired with Hopsecutioner the hoppy flavors carry the spicy notes well giving them a leg up in the flavor department and slightly mask the cheddar flavor and washes it out a little bit in the finish giving you am added hoppy not to the Cheetos aftertaste. Overall these Cheetos Crunchy Simply White Cheddar Jalapeño are not too bad getting a B- & as pairing with Terrapin Beer Co. Hopsecutioner IPA it’s also a B-. The chips fall short with jalapeño flavor, needs a little more, and the cheddar does get a tiny bit lost in the IPA hop notes. But I would not turn these two down if I was offered. Please enjoy responsibly! Cheers!
Originally posted on November 10th, 2012
On today’s shelves, you find many different IPA, (India Pale Ale) styles. But if there becomes more and more different style then a regular IPA might be somewhat forgotten. But not here, we have Full Sail Brewery IPA, 6.0% ABV from Hood River Oregon. This is just a simple IPA, and it’s sometimes good to go back to an original. This IPA pours a light orange color with a pillowy white head that looks like vanilla ice cream. The head does stay for a little while, and some light coming through the glass. I didn’t find a whole lot of carbonation on this, but I did see nice lacing though out. The aroma on this Full Sail IPA is a big soapy lemon and citrus fruit with a hint of a grassy note. This really smells like a good typical IPA. The taste on Full Sail IPA is lemony slightly citrusy and has a faint bitter hop dryness. The mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of crispness. This IPA kind of coats your tongue a little. The finish is good crisp with a nice bitter lemon flavor that stays in your mouth. The after taste really stays around in your mouth with a nice bitter hop. This is receiving a B+ from me. A great IPA, but could have some other citrus fruits, but still good with a lemon flavor. I DO recommend this IPA, any hoppy beer lover or IPA lover would like this, even a non-IPA/Hop drinker would like this. Give this a try please! I highly Full Sail Brewery IPA. recommend Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Here are this week’s news and events happening in the Charlotte, North Carolina area!
- Wednesday, February 19th. Crosswalk Melomel Release. GoodRoad CiderWorks. 4 pm-10 pm. Join us this Wednesday as we tap Crosswalk, a fruited mead with Cab Franc grapes, black currant, boysenberry, and sweet cherry! We’re thrilled to have Adeline’s Indian Cuisine serving up delicious food from 5-9pm as well!
- Wednesday, February 19th. 25th Anniversary Glass release. The Flying Saucer Charlotte. 7 pm-11:30 pm. Celebrating 25 Years of the original Flying Saucer with this badass 25oz Stein.
- Thursday, February 20th. Limited Release. Buffalo Trace Turtles on Pterodactyls. Birdsong Brewing Co. 3 pm-10 pm. Our Imperial Stout aged on cinnamon and cacao nibs in Buffalo Trace Barrels will be back on 2/20/20! Welcome back Turtles on Pterodactyls! We’re only making a limited amount of this fan-favorite so mark those calendars and join us for the release!
A new adventure awaited our brave pterodactyl and turtle dudes– a snarling mongrel stood in their way to freedom! What else to do but woo it with friendship? With their powers combined, our dino friends concocted a smooth, dark imperial stout with cacao nibs, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Aged in Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrels, this Prehistoric Dog variant will go down in history as one bodacious brew.
- Thursday, February 20th. King Cake Pastry Stout Release. Catawba Brewing Company. 3 pm-10 pm. The King of Mardi Gras will return for a second year in a row on Feb. 20th – just in time for some Mardi Gras festivities.
- Thursday, February 20th. Hopscraper Hazy Triple IPA & Kingdom Belgian Quadruple Release. Triple C Brewing Company. 4 pm-10 pm. This amped up Triple IPA is brewed with honey and tangerines. Hazy & golden orange in appearance, with a massive nose of orange pulp, underripe pineapple, and a hint of passion fruit. Flavors of citrus sherbet and tropical smoothie dominate with a hint of honey sweetness and floral hop flavors.
**Does contain Lactose
10.3% ABV This Belgian quad pours a beautiful deep ruby color. Aromas of mild Belgian spicy esters and sweet toffee blend into flavors of plump raisin, juicy plum, sweet fig, and a hint of black cherry. A touch of sweetness and alcohol upfront, smooth on the finish.
- Thursday, February 20th. Beer and Cookie Pairing. Sunset Brewing. 7:30 pm-9:30 pm. Tickets at digitalcookie.girlscouts.org. Come join the ladies of Charlotte Girls Pint Out at Sunstead Brewing for a cookie and beer pairing. Bring one box of cookies to share. If you haven’t found a scout to purchase from, click the ticket link below to help Jaime Lowe’s daughter with her sales.
This is a ladies-only event. Please RSVP and let us know in the discussion which cookie you will be bringing.
Each lady will be responsible for the price of their own flight.
There are two entrances into the parking lot, one is a left off of Palmer St which has you drive right down beside the brewery, perpendicular to South Graham. The other entrance is off of South Graham Street, right past the building on the right, or right before the building if you are heading towards the Panthers Stadium, from Southend.
- Friday, February 21st. Blood Orange Gose Release. NoDa Brewing Company. 3 pm-10 pm. Join us for a new Gose, coming to a can near you. 😆🍻
*Draft and cans will be available at both locations.*
This Gose sitting at 4% ABV, is a salted kettle-soured German-style Wheat Ale. It’s fermented in blood orange puree and brewed with blood orange peel. 🤤🍊
This zesty brew is gluten-reduced and offers the perfect flavor profile while being a light brew you can sip on as often as you’d like!
- Friday, February 21st. Cheese & Cider Pairing. Red Clay Ciderworks. 7 pm-8:30 pm. Tickets at eventbrite.com. Red Clay Ciderworks and Orrman’s Cheese Shop are joining forces to bring you a sensational night of cheese and cider pairings!
Cidermaker Jay Bradish and cheese expert Rachel Klebaur will be on hand to walk you through four different pairings, each with their own delectable panache.
Ticket holders, please check-in at the bar upon arrival.
(Please be aware that a minimum number of attendees is needed to hold the event)
- Saturday, February 22nd. Mardi Gras at Sycamore! Sycamore Brewing. 12 pm-11 pm. Celebrate Mardi Gras 2020 with us in the Sycamore Beer Garden! Delicious Beer and Great Food by Bayou Betty and Caribbean Buzz Food Truck and More! Live Music by @ScOOt Pittman, Wag the Dog and @Late Night Special!
- Saturday, February 22nd. Triple Can Release. Wooden Robot Brewery. 12 pm-12 am. Join us Saturday, February 22nd at Noon at both The Brewery – South End & The Chamber – NoDa for a Triple Can Drop of three of our favorite beers:
Space Magic – IPA – 7.0%
100% Local Barley and Oat Malt
Dry-Hopped with Mosaic & El Dorado
$14 (+ tax)
Pops’ Pilsner – German-Style Pilsner – 5.0%
100% Local Pilsner Malt
$12 (+ tax)
Beast Foot – Imperial Espresso Stout – 12.0%
Imperial Stout w/ Espresso Beans
100% Local Barley, Oat, and Roasted Malts
Locally Roasted Enderly Coffee Espresso Beans
$18 (+ tax)
ALL Sold in 4-packs (16oz) – No individual cans
No purchase limit
We will also have a limited amount of each beer on draft.
These cans will be FRESH off the canning line! Come party!
I had this Fonta Flora Brewery Hop Beard IPA, 6.9% on a flight board at Fonta Flora’s Optimist Hall location here in Charlotte, NC. I really enjoyed the two flights I had, and really enjoy their Hop Bead IPA so much that I took some home. Fonta Flora brews it beer in Nebo North Carolina outside Morganton. Hop Bead pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a two-finger sticky white head that leaves nice lacing behind with dry aroma of pine, some citrus fruits, and nice hoppy notes that lead into a flavor that is bitter with pine and hoppy notes with some dryness and nice hints of a citrus note. Hop Bead IPA has a dry piney finish with a somewhat similar aftertaste with faint citrus and light to almost medium mouthfeel. The citrus notes on this IPA are very faint but overall this is a good solid IPA that you can have a few pints of and not get your tastebuds fatigued. It is an A because it is not overpowering in any way and has nice easy flavor but enough to let you know it is an IPA and that’s not bad. Try Fonta Flora Brewery Hop Beard IPA I recommend it! Please enjoy responsibly!
Picked up Sierra Nevada Brewing Company 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale, 6.0% ABV from my local Harris Teeter supermarket. This Sierra Nevada beer is a limited edition hoppy beer and celebrates Sierra Nevada’s forty years of brewing since 1980 when they brewed the Pale Ale. 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale pours orange with a two and a quarter white fluffy head that sticks around making awesome lacing throughout the glass with aromas of nice but faint fruit, pine, and some nice bitter notes. The taste is not too far off the aroma with light fruity notes alongside bitter pine flavors that come together for a light bitter pine finish and carries into a pine aftertaste with a somewhat light mouthfeel. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale isn’t bad, I just think there are better hoppy ales out there, so I think that it’s a C+. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale does, however, follow what Sierra Nevada Brewing has been doing for the last forty years and I find the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company to be a great brewery overall. This beer was just above average for me. Please enjoy responsibly! Cheers!
Originally posted April 15th, 2017.
A few days ago I reviewed Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Torpedo Extra IPA which is the base beer for another Sierra Nevada beer, Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA, 6.7% ABV, both beers use the one of a kind Sierra Nevada Torpedo hop. Tropical Torpedo is a fairly new year-round beer. Sierra Nevada Brewing says on the back label that Tropical Torpedo is inspired by island life, and they created am IPA completely disconnected from the mainland. Tropical Torpedo pours a nice golden color with a three and a half finger of white head with some bubbles within it. The head is somewhat slow to fade into a thin white hazy top to the beer. The aroma is as topical as I was expecting, but there are some tropical notes to it, like nice pineapple, and faint mango. Didn’t get any other tropical fruits on the aroma. Tropical Torpedo has a nice fruiter taste to it from is sibling Torpedo, you get nice pineapple, some mango and little notes of papaya with some bitterness toward the middle and back of the mouth. The mouthfeel is light almost medium with a nice bitter tropical finish that sends you into an after taste of pineapple mango and very faint papaya with a bigger bitterness, but nothing overwhelming. This beer is more on the fruitier side of the IPA spectrum, which I tend to like a bit more, but it wasn’t as tropical as I was expecting it to be, but still pretty good. I give Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA a B. Some of the tropical fruits came through stronger than other and all of those fruits should have been slightly more pronounced in their flavors. But that’s not so bad that it kills this otherwise good IPA. Tropical Torpedo is a good beer for any time of year especially spring and summer. So go and try Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Tropical Torpedo, Tropical IPA if you like fruity tasting IPAs. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Here are this week’s news and events happening in the Charlotte, North Carolina area!
- Thursday, February 13th. Galentine’s Day at Sycamore. Sycamore Brewing. 4 pm-10pm. Join us for Galentine’s Day at Sycamore THIS Thursday! We’ll have Half-Priced Wild Blossom Cider and wine flights all night long! Food by TOLA Rose Italian Eats Food Truck, delicious snacks from Holy City Waffles (including Red Velvet Cake, Strawberry Cheesecake and Pink Cookie Dough Dip Waffles), Small cakes AND Live music by Late Night Special!
- Thursday, February 13th. Raspberry Cobbler Sour Release. Catawaba Brewing. 3 pm-10 pm. We’ve got a delicious Passport beer release for you this week – Raspberry Cobbler Sour! This pink drink is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
- Friday, February 14th, PTT x Resident Culture Valentine’s Day Tap Takeover. Pop the Top Craft Beer Shop. 12 pm-11 pm. Forget about chocolates and flowers for your significant other. Instead, bring them to our Resident Culture Brewing Company Tap Takeover this Friday 2/14 Valentine’s Day! We’ve got dark beers instead of dark chocolate because let’s face it, beer makes everything sweeter 🙂
We’ll be previewing one of the most anticipated stouts this season that will be released the next day at the brewery. So come out and enjoy the funkiest and most delicious beers in town!
// THA BEERS //
>> DEDICATED MIND EXPANSION BREAKFAST STOUT // 13% ABV // BBA Imperial Stout aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels for 14 months, conditioned on Toasted Pecans, High Low Farms Maple Syrup from Vermont, and Pure Intentions Coffee
>> HIGH CULTURE – Hazy Double IPA, Collab w/ High Branch Brewing Co. // 8% ABV // Hopped with our 2019 Selected Mosaic, Simcoe, and Galaxy. It’s a hazy tropical bomb full of fire. We can’t get enough
>> HOT TAKES: WHY CAN I GET A DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER BUT NOT A DOUBLE HOTDOG – Fruited Kettle Sour // 5.5% ABV // Cherry Lime Kettle Sour inspired by the slushies at a certain drive-thru
>> OVER SOUL – NEIPA // 7% ABV // Featuring Strata hops back with a Citra bang. It’s drinking super soft and fruity with a great juicy mouthfeel. Tropical and citrus flavors & aromas all the way
>> ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK? – Baltic Porter // 8.2% ABV // Dark Lager that is chocolaty & smooth but still crisp and dry
>> ADVANCED FALCONRY – Hazy Pale Ale // 6% ABV // Hazy Pale Ale hopped with Mosaic and Rakau hops
>> THERE IS NO LIGHT WITHOUT THE DARK – Schwarzbier // 5% ABV // Easy drinking, light, crisp, and crushable malty lager
- Friday, February 14th. Single AF: Second Annual Anit-Valentines Day Party. Wooden Robot Brewery. 5 pm-12 am. ARE YOU SINGLE AF? We have a party just for you.
Join us for our Second Annual Anti-Valentines Day Party Friday 2.14.20 from 5pm-Midnight.
This party will be the debut of our brand new taproom expansion & temp. controlled, outdoor Biergarten!
We will have flights of a brand new Cherry Currant Gose, Roseson & Beast Foot!
Crowned Sparrow Craft Co. will be with us from 6:30-8:30pm to create your own Voodoo Doll! She will have all the supplies you’ll need to create your own talisman of contempt over your Single AF status, including lots of different colors and embellishments to focus your energy on! Hit the link to sign up -> https://www.crownedsparrowco.com/events/2020/2/14
Walk-ins are available!
We will also have Anti-Valentines day desserts with proceeds benefitting The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation!
If you’re Single AF & proud (or lonely, that’s ok too), come drink with us!
- Saturday, February 15th. Breakfast Stout & Brunch. Sunstead Brewing. 12 pm-3 pm. Inspired by our Russian Imperial Stout – Vladimir Puddin’, we’ve crafted a tasty morning brew, rested on whole coffee beans from our friends at Jags Head. At Noon we pour foam-laden pints of this special release directly from our serving tanks. Bring your taste buds too. Our brewer and chef are working on some unique creations for a delicious waffle brunch! Grab a breakfast stout and some waffles covered with your favorite toppings.
*We will offer growler fills after 3pm. After 3pm we’ll also open up our regular menu*
- Saturday, February 15th. Hi-Wire Brewing Spotlight. Carolina Beer Temple Charlotte. 12 pm-11 pm. We welcome back Hi-Wire for a Post Valentine’s Day Tap Takeover.
Tap List TBA