Brewery Ommegang Brut IPA, 6.3% from Cooperstown, New York is a new substyle of IPA, Brut IPA which tend to have a dry sparkling quality to them. Ommegang Brut IPA purchased from the local total wine pours a bright gold color with a bright white three finger head with a dry light bitter aroma with a touch of light lemon. The taste does follow the nose with light dry lemon up front with bitterness that is nicely hoppy with a dry effervescent finish and a dry hoppy light lemon aftertaste with a light mouthfeel. The bitterness is low on this Ommegang Brut IPA but the overall flavor of the beer is not that memorable so I think it’s a B-. It’s good but not something that is going to stick with me and yes that is good cause you could drink a few of these before the beer becomes too much on your tastebuds. I do recommend trying Brewery Ommegang Brut IPA. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
In the past few months I have grown a liking to Trophy Brewing Company, and this new beer A Composition in Hops: Fuguebier, 6.2% a New England style IPA brewed in celebration of Johann Sebastian Bach and is brewed with five hop varieties; Amarillo, Citra, Centennial, Galaxy and Callista hops and seven days of dry hopping. Fuguebier pours a yellow slightly hazy color with a three finger bright white head with bright citrus aromas with bitter hop notes. The taste is smooth with citrus (orange and some grapefruit) with some light bitterness, sweetness, and lemon that is easy drinking with a light mouthfeel that finishes bittersweet with a citrus note and an aftertaste of lemon, hops, grapefruit, and orange. Trophy Brewing A Composition in Hops: Fuguebier is a good beer but light giving it a B+. It has some light New England IPA qualities to it that are good. I would recommend this because I will be going back to this good beer. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Saw this at the local Total Wine, Birdsong Brewing Company IPA Series Gravity Rides Double IPA, 8.7% ABV, which is brewed with Mosaic, Chinook, and Idaho 7 hops. Gravity Rides pours an orange color with a two finger tight white head with aromatic fruit aromas like orange citrus and pineapple with piney hop notes. Taste is good with nice solid hop-forward orange, slight pineapple with grass pine notes come in the back with a smooth hoppiness that finishes bitter, fruity, pine, and hoppy with a nice fruity hop and pine aftertaste, with a full mouthfeel. Gravity Rides doesn’t quite drink like a double IPA but has the flavor of one. I found Birdsong Brewing Company IPA Series Gravity Rides Double IPA to be good but more of a C+, above average. The fruity flavor does fade as the hoppy pine notes come in and I rather have those flavors mingle with each other. Now that would make this good beer great. But this Birdsong Brewing Company IPA Series Gravity Rides Double IPA is a be that I would go back to for sure and one that I do recommend trying. It just needs a little fine tuning it gets it into greatness. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Originally posted January 5th, 2014.
Most dark beers tend to be high on the ABV (alcohol by volume) scale, and that can either be a good or a bad depending on who you are and what you’re into. But I think that most beer drinkers what a darker beer with a lower more sessionable ABV and this beer fits that. Full Sail Session Black, 5.4% ABV is a Schwarzbier (black lager). Full Sail Session Black comes in a short stubby eleven-ounce bottle. Kind of looks like a medicine bottle. Full Sail Session Black pours a rich deep brown almost black color with a one and a half finger tan head that stays shortly and fade slower in decent lacing. I found very little light through the glass with a nice but small amount of carbonation bubbles. The aroma on Full Sail Session Black is malty with nice chocolate and roasted notes with hints of coffee note too. This beer really has a wonderful aroma to it. The taste up front is a big chocolate flavor that washes over the front of your mouth, then comes a slight roasted note that fades into a little coffee as it passed the back of your mouth. The mouthfeel is mild but has a slight richness. The after taste of big chocolate and a tiny bit of roast stays on your taste buds for a while. Overall this was an outstanding beer! I’m giving Full Sail Session Black an A+. This beer is very tasty and easy to drink with a nice level of ABV. I would love to have this again and again. I found it to be mostly one flavor, chocolate, but that was excellent. I highly recommend trying Full Sail Session Black. So go and try Full Sail Session Black for yourself as to what you think of it. Cheers! Please enjoy responsibly!
Here are this week’s happenings in the Charlotte, North Carolina area!
- Thursday, May 2nd. Southern Range Tap Takeover. Carolina Beer Temple. 12 pm-11 pm. Free Tickets at eventbrite.com. Monroe, North Carolina isn’t known far and wide for too many things, but it’s one and only brewery has already put it on the map as one of the best beer destinations around. South Range Brewing have long been favorites of ours here at the Temple, and we are excited to have the opportunity to share their world-class brews with a whole new audience as they take over the taps with some of the best and most exciting options anywhere in the Old North State!
-Hopsequences Hazy IPA
-Cookie D’oh Cookie Dough Stout
-Energizer Blondie Coffee Blonde Ale
- Friday, May 3rd. Untappd Festival Pre-Game. Heist Brewery and Barrel Arts. 1 pm-11 pm. To celebrate the first ever Untappd Festival at Bank of America stadium, we will be throwing down at our Barrel Arts spot the day before from 1-11P.
We will have a few guest taps on the night of 5/3, starting at 6P. Here is the lineup, as we have the ability to showcase some of the breweries throughout our Carolinas:
Amor Artis Brewing – YORK COUNTY, Rye BA Imperial Stout
New Anthem Beer Project – NEON GOD (DDH Citra/Mosaic), Hazy IPA
White Elephant Beer Co – IMPERIAL ALMOND TROOPER, Imperial Stout w/ Cacao Nibs, Toasted Almond, and Cinnamon
King Canary Brewing Company – PARTY FOWL, Fruited Sour IPA
High Branch Brewing Co.
HopFly Brewing Company
And when those six breweries have their beers kick, we called some more of our friends, and are going to put on some extras:
Flying Machine Brewing Company – FLUTTERING FOLLY, Hazy Double IPA
Incendiary Brewing Company – BANANA PANCAKE BANE, Imperial Stout w/ Maple, Banana, and Vanilla
Oh, and we’ve decided to release a small batch beer during this as well! Super stoked about it!
- Friday-Sunday, May 3rd-5th. Belgian Cellar Raid. Sugar Creek Brewing. Fri 1 pm-4 pm, Sat 1 pm-4 pm, Sun 12 pm-9 pm. ALL WEEKEND long we are raiding the Brew Masters cellar to unleash a few locally brewed interpretations of some Belgian Classics! We’ll start with the release of a white wine Barrel Aged Tripel bugged with lacto and Brett and a white wine barrel aged GOSE on Friday. If that’s not enough we’re also unveiling our new Bottle Conditioned menu FEATURING multiple years of Dubbel, Biere De Garde, Tripels, Barley Wine and Dark Strongs. Don’t miss the opportunity to try some serious labor of love in a glass all weekend long!
- Saturday, May 4th. 2019 Untappd Beer Festival – Early Access. 3 pm. Tickets at Ticketmaster.com ($65.00) Beer enthusiasts and brewers from around the world will assemble on the field at the stadium to celebrate beer and breweries from across the United States. Over 100 brewers will pour samples of between two and four beers at booths stationed on the field at Bank of America Stadium. The event will highlight dozens of Charlotte-area and North Carolina and South Carolina breweries as well as a strong contingent of brewers from around the country. VIP ACCESS allows for 3:00PM entry into the festival. Must be 21 years and older to attend the Untapped Beer Festival. The Festival is a rain or shine event.
Sale Dates and Times:
Public Onsale : Fri, 1 Mar 2019 at 09:00 AM
Presale Offers : Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 01:00 PM
- Tuesday, May 7th. Mother Earth 10 year Birthday Parth with Hoppin’. Hoppin’. 5 pm-10 pm. Join the entire Hoppin’ brewery crew as we tap 10 great beers to celebrate 10 years! Featuring specialty swag, vintage kegs, and birthday cake.